Although it is not possible to cover everything about the subject of sanitary fittings in the short article here, a few salient things can be discussed so that you can get a brief idea about this subject. Sanitary fittings as we all know are mostly used in pharmaceutical, beverage, food and various other personal care product manufacturing line.
Most of the sanitary replacements parts that includes different fitting parts and tubes are so designed that it can be easily cleaned, since in the type of industries where these fittings are used needs fully sanitized and clean parts for manufacturing their products. There should be no scope of formation of bacteria, contamination or corrosion on these parts.
Following are few characteristics that are desired from any sanitary piping or fitting:
- While specifying the sanitary tubes, you need to consider only the outer diameter of the tube section and based on that you have to choose the related items.
- There are fittings available for tube sizes in the ranges of ½” to 12” however the most commonly used tube sizes are in the ranges of ½” to 4”.
- For tube sizes between ½” to 3” the wall thickness is 0.065” which is 16 G.
- For tube sizes of 4” the wall thickness is 0.083” i.e. 14 G.
- For tube sizes of 6” the wall thickness is 0.109” i.e. 12 G.
- For tube sizes between 10” to 12” the wall thickness is 0.12”.
- Most common material used for sanitary fittings are 304 or 316L grade stainless steel. For certain limited sizes of fitting, you can get them in certain alloys like AL6XN, Hastelloy and Titanium.
- The surface finish quality is mentioned as Ra, where Ra is determined by measuring the mean distance between peak and valleys on the surface of metal. The unit of measurement is in micro-inches. For sanitary grade of material minimum Ra should be 32 however in many biopharmaceutical companies, the tube requirement can also be between 15 to 20 Ra.
- There are no threads, pockets or tight radii in sanitary fittings, as elbow radii are always standardized. Sanitary elbow radius is 1.5 times the out diameter of the tube. Thus, if you are looking for 1” elbow has a radius of 1.5” and 2” elbow will have radius of 3” and so on.
There are few numbers of manufacturers of sanitary fittings in the USA and you can visit their website to choose your required fittings.